Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Blogging in the UAE - My bio and views

Blogging in the UAE – by Desert Fox

Having lived and worked now for more than 20 years overseas, I have had the opportunity to visit and learn about many countries and cultures around the world. Some of these countries/areas include Germany/Europe; US/ North America; Japan, Thailand/ Southeast Asia; and now the UAE/ Gulf region. This chance to experience different cultural environments has given me a unique perspective on how people communicate in different ways, at different levels, and for different purposes.

It is my honor and privilege to have the chance to teach young Emiratis at the Higher Colleges in Abu Dhabi. This experience will provide the opportunity for me to share my knowledge, experience and view points with HCT students, and the chance to learn from them about their unique culture and personal perspectives on life in the UAE and Gulf region.

Blogging is a new technological version of an ancient skill: writing in symbols to communicate often complex opinions and feelings to others. This started as carvings on stone tombs and caves, continuing to today’s modern form – The Internet. I see this venue as a chance to model and present my ideas, study tips, feedback, and to communicate new assignments to the 174 class.

This venue can and will be only as successful as the effort put in to regularly use and give feedback on other student’s blogs, and respond to their comments.

This blogging opportunity will also give me the chance to develop my own technological skills, through the input of my students, as we utilize the age-old learning form of exchanging information for the betterment and development of both one’s communication partner and one’s self.

No comments: